Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Preparing jars for yeast harvesting

Last night I made preparations to harvest some of the yeast that's working for me in Keep Ryedyn On beer. I thought others might like to see this process. I may make a DIY video of this in the future, but didn't think about it last night.

Typically when I make a batch of Ryedyn, I make a batch of Pumpkin Porter one to two weeks later and dump the porter on the yeast cake of the Ryedyn. Since this has worked well for me I don't really want to mess with that procedure. However since I have a mixed yeast strain this year (see Inadvertent Experiment post) I'd like to harvest some of it before I get to the Pumpkin Porter. So I may not dump directly on. Or I may scoop some of the trub and yeast from the bottom of my fermentor before putting the porter on top of it.

Either way I need some prepared jars for my yeast friends. I got out my canning pot, which was my very first brewing pot, back when I did it all on the stove in 5 gallon batches, and prepared 6 pint sized mason jars and 3 small jelly jars, which I think are 8 oz. jars. It looks like a lot of steps, but it really doesn't take too long to do.

Preparation steps:

  1. Clean jars and lids and rinse well.
  2. Fill each jar with water nearly to the top and put the lid on snug, but not tight.
  3. Put the jars in the canning pot and fill it with water to just below the lids of the jars.
    1. Regular pot can be used too, but the canning pot has a rack that makes removing the jars so much easier.
  4. Boil the whole thing for 5 minutes.
    1. This took for ever to reach a boil on the electric stove. I'll be breaking out the propane burner next time.
  5. Remove the jars from the water. Carefully!
    1. If you have a canning pot just lift the rack and hook it to the edge of the pot.
  6. Tighten the lids while they are still hot. Carefully!
    1. I used a couple of silicone pot holders to do this.
  7. Allow the jars to cool a bit before putting them in the fridge for future use.
    1. They will vacuum seal due to the contraction of the steam created in each jar during the boil.

Now after you rack off the beer, you are ready to harvest. I have a Yeast Harvesting Video which shows one method of harvesting yeast. This method is often called 'washing' the yeast.

Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment